Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Brian Dyck (Ottawa Police) another donation

This past Saturday, I left Sandpoint a bit early to head into Ottawa to find Brian Dyck (a well liked Ottawa Police Officer), who is fighting a courageous battle with ALS.

I managed to find a parking spot at the Canadian War Museum (not an easy task) the place was busy with many walkers supporting loved ones in the Walk for ALS taking place that morning. I was amazed at the spirit of the people involved all wearing T shirts emblazoned with their family or friends name.

I located a group of Brian's supporters and followed them into the theatre where an audience listened to speakers from Bob Rae to John Baird. I was happy to hear about the funds raised by the participants and the many local companies backing the campaign.

I was there to find Brian or his family to present a cheque from The 911 Network. I did manage to finally get close to Brian, but he was moving pretty fast in his electric wheel chair and his wife and child were running along side. I did manage to catch up and quickly hand Brian's wife a cheque for $250.00 from our membership. I told her that is was simply for them. There are times when we just need to help people directly and there are times to support the global charity.

It was a brief exchange and I never really did get a chance to meet Brian. I hope our support can benefit his family to a small degree.

Thanks again for your support of our program. It is making a difference.

Kind regards,

Pat

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Const. Brian Dyck is the face on LCBO coinbox backers in support of ALS Ontario until the end of June. There is just under a week to support the cause, which affects so many, at LCBOs across Ontario! Thanks.